digital and tech
Electrical Installation & Maintenance
Electricians install, maintain and repair electrical systems in industrial, commercial and domestic environments. Electricians might work in both indoor and outdoor settings. Electrical equipment and systems may include switchboards, motors, cables, fuses, thermal relays, fault current protection switches, heating, lighting, air conditioning and metering equipment as well as crime and fire alarm systems and renewable energy technologies. They are able to work on their own proficiently and work without immediate supervision in the most efficient and economical manner. They may contribute to the design of electrical systems. They are able to set out jobs from drawings and speculations and requisition the necessary installation materials. Electrical safety is an important area of Electricians’ work. On completion of their work the electrical systems must be safe to use. They must adhere to safe working practices without endangering themselves or others. Installation Electricians work on the installation, testing, commissioning and maintenance of low voltage (less than 1000v) electrical and electronic devices and appliances. Maintenance Electricians work on the maintenance of electrical and electronic installations including automated production systems. Duties include the supervision of the equipment, its maintenance and necessary repairs.
Installation electrician, Maintenance electrician and Electrician
Electricians will use engineering knowledge and understanding to apply their technical and practical skills. They will contribute to the design, development, manufacture, construction, commissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes, systems or services. Electricians must:
- Understand and apply the principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and cords in electrical systems
- Understand and apply the practices and procedures for the preparation and installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- Understand and apply the principles, practices and legislation for the inspection, testing, commissioning and certification of electrotechnical systems and equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- Understand and apply the principles, practices and legislation for diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrotechnical systems and equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- Understand and apply the electrical principles associated with the design, building, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems
- Oversee and organize the work environment.
In addition, installation Electricians must:
- Understand and apply the principles of planning and selection for the installation of electrotechnical equipment and systems in buildings, structures and the environment.
- Understand and apply the practices and procedures for planning and preparing to maintain electrotechnical systems and equipment.