digital and tech
Electronic Service Installation Engineer
Electronic Installation Engineer
The engineer will install and service a range of domestic and/or commercial equipment from washing machines and micro-wave ovens in the kitchen, launderette or restaurant to television and audio equipment in the living room. The influence of computers in controlling washing machines and providing television, have brought the installation and service requirements of these products together. In the near future, the ‘smart home’ will give wireless control of these products and link their requirements still closer. To meet the needs of these ‘smart’ products, it is essential that the engineer is I.T. literate and has an understanding of all aspects of connectivity, with the ability to make and troubleshoot I.P. connections to routers, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections, in both domestic and commercial situations. The engineer must also be capable in the usage of “Apps”. Technology is developing at a rapid rate and the range of products requiring the engineers skills will expand and require the engineer to maintain and update their knowledge and skills to meet these future needs. Many products will be integrated into the ‘smart home’ in the future and talk to each other through the “Internet of Things” giving the engineer a secure and profitable future.
As most of the work is carried out in the customer’s home or business, the engineer has to be polite, well dressed and have appropriate customer facing skills. The work will be interesting and varied giving the opportunity to work with a wide range of people in differing environments. The engineer should have an enquiring mind and be able to follow a logical sequence of mechanical events or electrical tests. Following the Apprenticeship, the engineer will have additional training if they are working on gas appliances or working in specific commercial premises, they may also have the opportunity to take additional qualifications to further develop their skills and extend their prospects into management, training or development.
Health & safety regulations and practices relevant to the role.
- Testing to EU/BS Product Standards.( oven internal temperature & surface temperature tests)
- PAT (Portable Appliance Testing)
- Customer care techniques including any particular company policies.
- Environmental legislation i.e. WEEE (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) Directive.
- Health and safety regulations and practices including waste carriage regulations and Electrostatic Discharge (ESD).
- Electrical services, utility services, signal requirements and network connections.
- Manufacturer’s installation requirements e.g.: Ventilation, building strength, viewing distance and other site requirements.
- The operating principles and products operating sequence.
- The function of software in the operation of the product.
- Manufacturer’s service manuals as appropriate.
- The importance of van stock maintenance.
Observe health and safety regulations and procedures including:
- Apply electrical safety tests.
- Avoid the hazard left by residual energy.
- Ensure all tools and equipment are safe and fit for purpose.
- Understand and apply EU/BS product standards.
- Apply Portable Appliance Testing.
- Identify and use the appropriate mode of communication and be able to deal with and listen to customers.
- Comply with health and safety procedures to protect colleagues, customers and their family.
- Resolve disputes and know who to report to in case of problems.
- Research and apply environmental legislation that is current and appropriate to installations and repairs.
- Advise customers on energy saving practices and choosing environmentally friendly purchases in the future.
- Use the correct lifting techniques.
- Apply safe stowing procedures.
- Fit / remove safety bolts.
- Deliver product.
- Agree suitable site, with customer, for installation.
- Carry out electrical safety tests.
- Install product to manufacturer’s regulations.
- Make network connections including Wi-Fi, Internet and blue tooth.
- Demonstrate product to customer’s satisfaction ensuring customer can operate product.
- Complete paperwork including re-call registration if agreed with customer.